Wedding Gown Timeline: A Comprehensive Guide To Finding Your Perfect Dress
When you were a little girl, you may have had dreams of your wedding gown. You envisioned the perfect dress that would make you feel like a princess on your special day. Now that you are engaged, the search for that magical gown is at the top of your priority list. But with so many choices and decisions to make, where should you shop and when should you begin?
Fear not, the expert stylists at Winnie Couture have crafted a detailed wedding gown timeline to help you every step of the way.
12 to 18 Months Out: Laying the Foundation
The first phase of your wedding gown journey is all about setting the groundwork and building excitement for what’s to come.
• Set Your Gown Budget – Determine a realistic budget for your wedding gown. Consider your overall wedding expenses and allocate funds accordingly.
• Research and Create Pinterest – Begin your research by exploring various wedding gown styles, silhouettes, fabrics, and details. Create a dedicated Pinterest board to gather inspiration and refine your preferences.
• Find Local Bridal Salons – Naturally, in this piece, we are going to recommend that you locate the nearest Winnie Couture for the best dress and most enjoyable purchasing experience.
• Choose Your Shopping Entourage – Select a small group of trusted individuals, comprising of 3 to 5 people at most. They will accompany you on your gown shopping journey.
• Go Shopping – Embark on your first gown shopping excursion. Try on different styles to determine what flatters your body type and aligns with your vision.
8 to 12 Months Out: Making It Official
Now that you have a clearer idea of your preferred gown style, it’s time to move closer to your dream dress.
• Make Bridal Appointments – Schedule appointments at the bridal salon. Notify them of your preferences and provide any inspiration images to guide their selection process.
• Buy Your Gown – After trying on various gowns, you’ll inevitably find “the one”. Once you’ve made your decision, place the order for your dream gown. Keep in mind any necessary lead times for production and fittings.
• Start Shopping for Veils/Accessories – Explore veil and accessory options that complement your gown. Coordinate with the salon to find the perfect prices.
Five Months Out: The Fine Details
With the foundation in place, it’s time to focus on the finer details to complete your bridal look.
• Shop for Undergarments If Necessary – Assess whether you need specific undergarments or shapewear to enhance the fit and silhouette of your gown.
• Choose Hairstyles and Book Hair/Makeup Trial – Consult with a hairstylist and makeup artist to discuss potential looks for your wedding day. Schedule a trial session to make sure you achieve the desired results.
• Choose Shoes and Break Them In – Select your wedding shoes. Make sure they’re comfortable and align with your overall style. Wear them around the house to break them in and prevent discomfort on the big day.
Three Months Out: Tailoring and Personalization
As your wedding day approaches, it’s time to finalize the fit and personalize your gown.
• Have First Fitting and Pick up the Gown – Attend your first fitting appointment at the salon. Make sure the gown fits perfectly and matches your expectations. Once satisfied, take the gown home.
• Take the Gown to a Tailor – If any alterations are necessary, bring your gown to a skilled tailor who specializes in bridal alterations. Communicate your desired modifications clearly. (Some bridal shops will help you take care of alterations.)
6 to 8 Weeks Out: The Finishing Touches
With the bulk of the alterations completed, it’s time to focus on the final details that will make your gown uniquely yours.
• Have a Second Fitting with the Tailor – Attend your second fitting appointment to make any final adjustments. Make sure the gown fits flawlessly and comfortably.
• Decide on “Something Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue” – Choose sentimental or symbolic items to fulfill the tradition of having “something old, something borrowed, and something blue” on your wedding day.
2 to 4 Weeks Out: The Countdown Begins
As the wedding day draws near, it’s time for the last preparations involving your gown.
• Final Gown Fitting – Attend your final fitting to make sure all alterations are complete, and the gown fits perfectly. Assure yourself that you can move comfortably and confidently.
• Pick up the Gown – Collect your gown from the salon and store it safely in a protective garment bag until the wedding day.
• Break in Your Shoes (If You Haven’t Already) – Wear your wedding shoes around the house – if you haven’t already – to make sure they’re fully broken in and won’t cause discomfort.
• Check for a Steamer – Make sure you have access to a steamer to remove any wrinkles or creases on your gown on the day of the wedding.
One Day Out: The Emergency Kit
Prepare for any last-minute mishaps by assembling an emergency kit that will save the day if any unexpected wardrobe issues arise:
• Safety pins, fashion tape, undergarments, needle and thread
• Put everything together in an appropriate bag
Wedding Day: Time to Shine
Finally, the day has arrived. Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy every magical moment of your wedding day. Let the gown you meticulously selected and lovingly personalized enhance your joy and radiance.
Post Wedding: Cherished Memories
After the celebrations, it’s important to preserve your gown as a keepsake of your special day.
Invest in a professional preservation kit to protect and clean your gown. Follow the provided instructions and send it off to a reputable cleaning service.
Winnie Couture wishes you the best wedding gown shopping experience ever – filled with joy and excitement. May you find the gown of your dreams and create lasting memories as you embark on this beautiful journey to “I Do”.